A lot of parents try so hard to protect their children from violence, strangers, and abduction but they pay less attention to the most important thing that could affect the safety and well-being of their children which is their home. Experts say that most children between 1-4 are likely to get injured by choking, burning, drowning, falls, poisoning or fire rather than violence from a stranger. Kids are usually naughty, they can grab what they shouldn’t, climb what they shouldn’t, and whatever gets into their hands goes straight into their mouth.
The U.S Center for Disease Control and Prevention recent analysis has shown that about 2.3 million children are accidentally injured at home, while over 2,500 of them die. This is the reason childproofing your home is very important.
The best way to make sure your baby is safe is by taking a baby’s eye view. Get down on your hands and knees like them and try to see things the way they see it.
What’s reachable? What looks attractive? Where would you go if you could walk, toddle or crawl?
This would help you know the possible places your child is likely to go to like the cupboard or drawer he or she might want to pull while crawling. As your kid starts walking or crawling, you should also reevaluate, looking higher this time.
Ensure the potentially dangerous items in each room in your home is out of reach of children or stored somewhere safe. Use special baby proofing products to protect your kids. One of the smartest solutions to secure your cabinets and drawers is OXLAY Baby Safety Cabinet Lock:
Read more about using OXLAY Baby Safety Locks in this article.
Pay special attention to the following items:
Personal and hygiene products:
- Perfume and aftershave
- Nail polish removers
- Vitamins and supplements
- Prescription medicines
- Over-the-counter medicines
- Laundry detergent
- Dishwashing detergent
- All-purpose cleaners
- Drain openers and toilet bowl cleaners
- Furniture polish
- Button batteries
- Refrigerator magnets or products and toys that have small or loose magnets
- Beads, buttons, coins
Do not forget to throw away any unfinished drinks immediately bearing in mind that alcohol could be very harmful to children.
Bear in mind that children might take an interest in the trash bins.
There are some houseplants that could be harmful to children. To get a list of plants to avoid call the Poison Help line 1-800-222-122. It might be best to avoid houseplants for some time, but if you can’t just keep them out of reach of children.
Devices, TVs, gadgets and chargers:
Devices, TVs, gadgets and chargers are always abundant in our homes. So while the traditional style of baby proofing (childproof drawer locks, corner covers, bathtub mats, etc.) is still important, it is also useful to know the modern baby proofing techniques:
- Cords are very dangerous to children. Keep the chargers out of reach of children and it is best if it is kept behind or on top of furniture.
- Most little children tend to climb tables, chairs, desks, shelves or any other furniture worth climbing, but they are not safe for them as they might fall over. Use anti-tip furniture straps to secure furniture items in position.
- For kids that like climbing and pulling things, flat screen TV might be a serious danger. So ensure to put your TV in a secure position and protected so it does not fall off. You may also use anti-tip straps for this purpose.
- Opt for new outlet covers with sliding doors. It can give you the quick access you need to the outlets and automatically cover it when it is not in use. In this way, there is no need to remove them and therefore no choking hazards.